Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:35:53 +0200
A computer, with Athlon 64, 3200 (Box), and Mobo GA-K8N-51PVMT-9 by
Gigabyte, started to heat up to temperatures higher than 70 degrees
(celcius), when running relatively CPU heavy programs (such as Windows
Media Player), or Mathlab.

Looking at the fan speed I saw that it runs on 1400 RPM which seems quite
low when this is the temperature. I saw this temperature both with
Speedfan and with Everest speedfan was not set to control the speed.

I tried to install new chipset drivers, I tried to upgrade the bios to the
latest, and to disable and enable the smart speed control in the BIOS and
the fan still ran at 1400 RPM even when the temperatures went up to over
60 celcius. I replaced the BOX fan to TR2 by ThermalTake that I had, and
the temperatures went down to reasonable ones (always lower than 60
degrees Celcius), but the new fan speed was still at 1400 RPM, even if I
disabled the SMART fan feature in the BIOS. The data on the TR2 claims
that the speed is 2500 RPM plus/minus 10 percents.

Even though the temperatures are now reasonable, I wish to understand the
reason why thwe fan speed is not increased when the CPU becomes hotter.
At some point I tried to download the Cool and Quite patch by AMD but it
didn't change this problem.

It is Winter here - we might have the heating problem again when the
Summer arrives.

Uzi

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>