From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 22:07:30 -0400
Hi.

I don't particularly consider antennas to be off topic, but to each his
own.  I concur with the group that amplified antennas don't work.  The
amplifier is at best a source of noise and at worst will generate intermod
all over the place.  As for dipoles, I have a set of rabbit ears that I
bought while vacationing in New Jersey that have served me very well.  One
thing I like about them is that each of the "ears can swivel around as well
as up and down, and this gives me much more flexibility than the standard
rabbit ears that move up and down but don't swivel.

My point is that not all indoor rabbit ears are created equal?  By the way,
the rabbit ears that I bought were not the most expensive ones out there
but they work very well for indoor antennas.  Wish I could remember who
made them.

When I lived out in the country, I actually used an outdoor Radio Shack
directional VHF/UHF TV/FM antenna on a rotator, and it worked better than
anything else I've used so far.

Are you also looking for a good AM antenna, or is the emphasis here on FM?

Well constructed tuned loop antennas are the way to go for AM.  They hear
less noise, and the directional characteristics make them worth their
weight in gold.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK