From:
Larry Scroggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:07:45 -0800
System specs are:
  Homebuilt system (September 2005)
  Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates
  Motherboard : MSI K8N Neo4/SLI (MS-7100)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+
  2 GB RAM
  320 GB Seagate SATA HD (C)
  250 GB Western Digital ATA HD (K)
  PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-716AL  (D)
  PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-740A  (E)

  System was working fine up until a month ago. Now various CDs and DVD disks are not read in either CD/DVD drive. When data, music, or video disks are placed in (D) (slot loading) drive, drive light flashes for approx three seconds and the disk is ejected. When the same disks are placed in (E) drive (tray loading), the drive light flashes for approx eight seconds and then stops.

  Both drives show up in the BIOS. Both drives show up in Device Manager and are shown as working properly. Both drives show up in My Computer.

  I have tried tightening the connections then removing and replacing the cable connecting both drives to the MB. I tried uninstalling the drivers in Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall upon a reboot. I updated the firmware for the devices from the Plextor website. All to no avail.

  My research on the Web has lead me to believe that this problem has come about by a problem in the Windows XP registry. Perhaps some software I uninstalled removed the registry entry that controls my CD/DVD drives? I even downloaded a registry tweak I found at a Windows help forum and incorporated it into my registry but that didn't help either.

  Do any of you have some ideas I can try out? Thanks for any help you can supply.

  Larry Scroggs
  El Paso, Texas, USA

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com