BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:15:23 -0700
Thanks everybody for the quick response.

Mary,  We already have an attorney looking at this for us, I insisted on
it.  I know what problems can arise down the road with these things.

Eric,  Thanks for the advice.  Yes, I could pay in screwdrivers and cider
left over from yesterday's meeting, but that's about all.

Aren't you the one who changes addresses frequently?  Why not change that
address to Vermont?  We're a real friendly bunch up here and half of NYC
has moved here already and they're ready to turn our lovely old houses into
Old McMansions.  We need somebody to protect them AND us from that movement.

On a more serious note, do you know if there are any of these Engineers or
Architects lurking about in the bushes of VT/NH?  Maybe a directory of The
Ancient Engineers and Architects Association, or something?  Ruth

At 10:25 AM -0400 9/25/06, Hammarberg, Eric wrote:
Ruth,

Mary is correct. I would emphasize that you should be looking for an
Engineer and Architect who specialize in historic structures. Otherwise you
risk getting someone uncomfortable with unreinforced masonry and other
construction issues less common today. Also, historic structures reports
are great and very useful as they tell the whole story but tend to be
expensive and may give you a lot more than you need at the moment. That can
be decided as you discuss with your Arch or Eng. By the way, this is
exactly what we specialize in but our fees and travel costs may push your
budget.

Good luck.

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA
Vice President