ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chipmunks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:23:03 -0400
i mkissed the original post I must admit. If you are rereferring to
skype, it is right that a conference call is with up to four other
people, i.e. five to a conference. However, as of version 2.5 of
skype, it is no longer possible to daisy-chain such conferences. Some
people are sticking to older versions of skype for that very reason
and there is at present no real reason to not do that.

Personally, I fnd a skype call with more than three or four parties
rather chaotic anyway, though, as people tend to talk over each other
and this produces a lot of echo and breakup. The person hosting the
conference needs to have decent upload bandwidth or things get choppy
when there is more than one or two parties added to the conference anyway.

If people want to talk with more than a three- or four-way, I would
suggest either using one of the existing voice chat sites like

www.for-the-people.com

or

www.vipconduit.com

or get their own ventrilo or similar server that is designed for
group chat and can be configured to use a push-to-talk key.

I personally hang out on the vip, i.e. vipconduit, a lot as that site
has a room in which we play Christian music and fellowship almost
every night and it has been a wonderful wonderful blessing to my
husband Chris and me and a haven in cyberspace.  The people there are
very friendly and very cool. Actually, a number of people who I first
met thru this list have popped up there like Miss Peg or Mark
andRonda or Ned or April and Dave and probably a bunch of others that
I don't connect to this list at the moment.

On a sslightly less happily biased site, the music rooms on the vip
are very cool as they are full stereo and have excellent sound
quality. The drawback is that access to those music rooms including
the Christian one requires a paid membership of US$20 a year. I
personally do not totally agree with that policy but that is what it
is and it really is worth the investment at least to me. <g>
It would be so cool to see some more of you guys show up on the vip,
whether to play music with us or to just fellowship. There is a
Christian room, the "House of Worship",, that is open to everyone and
has an online Sunday moring - morning if you are in the U.S. <g> -
worship service and also some fellowship event but is open all the
time and would surely enjoy more frequent use.

I got started on the Internet almost 10 years ago and first was
initiated to any kind of chat on IRc but today would not want to miss
voice chat. We are so blessed to live in this day and age where it is
much more graspable that God's church is worldwide really. and it is
just so cool when we come together and sometimes have three or four
continents represented! One of the regulars in the music rooms on the
vip is a young lady from Singapore and it is just awesome that we can
enjoy fellowship and Christian familyship just like that across time
zones and cultural and national borders just like that and never
hardly even think about it! It's been such a real blessing!

it  is just so neat to come together and hear the others' voices and
when it is familiar names like with people from this list, it is so
wonderful! It is just really really super to be able to put voices to
names and to get to know people in real life so to speak. It's not
quite as real life actually as diphysical distance of course remains
but it is the next best thing.

I know I am happily biased on this but it's just so neat andhas
blessed Chris and me so much.Having the fellowship and direct contact
with brothers and sisters in the Lord has enriched our lives and has
helped me grow in the Lord quite a bit.

I hope to see some of you around in cyberspace. You can email me off
list, too, of course, if you are into skype. I have it and love it
but don't like to put my info out on a list. <g.

God Bless,

Doris