ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:07:56 -0700
Here is another 16 year old article but it was something God showed me at a
horribly difficult time of my life.

TESTIMONY OF A TURTLE

                               BY

                          PHIL SCOVELL

     I was eating lunch with my family and listening to the kids
discuss my eleven year old daughter's newly acquired turtle
Herman.  My eight year old son, his voice muffled as he spoke
around a sandwich said, "Yea, Herman has a bent shell."  His
sister immediately shot back, "Oh, right!  God made a mistake when
he made Herman!"
     I had been facing depression for many months following the
folding of my first church after only eleven months.  I felt
worthless and valueless.  I had no job, my wife was working, and I
found it difficult to be thankful.  Although I kept telling myself
I wasn't a failure, somehow I found it impossible to believe.
Upon hearing my children talk about the turtle, I suddenly
realized that God in fact makes no mistakes.  I had just read the
day before how God created all the stars, knew their number, and
even personally named them all (Psalm 147:4).  I had been quoting
the words of our Lord to myself for several days concerning the
fact that He knew the number of the hairs on our head (Matt.
10:29-31).  It seems trivial, I know,  but the awareness of God's
creation perfection encouraged me.  It was time to thank God He
had created me and that He still cared for me (I Peter 5:7).
Paul likewise confirmed that we are created in His image and for
His glory (I Cor. 11:7).  Furthermore, no one can accuse us any
longer since we have confessed Him as Lord of our lives.  We have
been reconciled in the body of His flesh through His resurrection
and He presents us holy, unblamable, and unreproveable (Col. 1:21-
22).  In short, no one can lay anything to our charge since the
Savior paid the eternal price for sin; be they recent or past;
even sins future.  Perhaps we should listen to the testimony of
the turtle - God makes no mistakes!"

It Sounds Like God To Me.
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com