From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:30:59 -0500
At 19:36 11/25/07, alan smith wrote:
>There was a recent post about the computer not seeing the
>CD r/w and maybe a DVD unit. Has anyone tried those changes
>on Windows2000pro? Every so often my computer doesn't see
>my units, even when I use MY COMPUTER! Thank you for the
>help,   AL SMITH

Hi Alan

If you're referring to Larry Scroggs' posts, his CD-Rom and
DVD-Rom drives couldn't read the discs. However, I think he
could still see these drives in both Device Manager and
My Computer.

I posted that this was a common problem in both Win2k and WinXP
which could usually be fixed by deleting the Upper and Lower
Filter registry values. I referred to the Microsoft Knowledge
Base article <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/>.
This Article officially applies to both Windows 2000 Pro and
Windows XP.

If my CD and/or DVD drives were not visible in My Computer,
I'd first try using TweakUI to "un-hide" the drive letters
for these drives. (If they were not marked as hidden in the
TweakUI's list of drive letters, I'd try marking them as
hidden, rebooting, and then marking them as un-hidden,
followed by another reboot. (Sort of like installing a
program over itself to correct a problem.)

Note the MS KB article "Missing Drives in My Computer and
Windows Explorer" applies to Windows 2000 Pro (and Win9X):
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191579/en-us>.

You need the Win2k (or WinXP) version of TweakUI. If you
didn't have TweakUI installed before the drive letters
started disappearing, it doesn't mean that TweakUI has no
chance of fixing the problem. (Of course it might not help
if the drive letters went missing for some other reason,
for example if they were not detected at boot due to some
transient hardware error or if the System Policy editor
has somehow marked them hidden.) Using the Policy Editor
to hide/un-hide a drive letter is discussed in a Win NT4
KB article. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220955/en-us>.

By the way, hen your Cd-Rom drive letter does go missing,
have you checked in "Disk Management" (part of Computer
management) to see if the drive letter might have just
changed to a higher letter?

Regards,
Bill

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: