From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:59:18 -0500
On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:34:56PM -0600, Harvey Heagy wrote:
 I would think only 10
> percent of the web is fully usable by a blind person.

I'd be interested to know how you came up with that estimate? I'd say
the figure is much higher; certainly not 100%, maybe not even 90%, but
certainly not 10% either. I'd say that most Web pages I run into, I
can access, if not with old crotchety browsers like lynx, certainly
with new ones and a Windows or Mac screen reader. Now I will go with
you as far as CAPTCHA is concerned (those annoying visual code
verification things)...if we have any one single artificial barrier to
full Web access, that would be it, and no mistake about it. Most other
problems can be gotten around one way or another. Graphical links and
buttons without text labels would run a real close second as far as
accessibility goes, but most of the time, you can guess the function
of those (even correctly guess them). But I would really not go so far
as to guestimate only 10% of the Web being fully accessible. I don't
think i'd go any lower than 50%, but even there, I don't have any
data, apart from about 16 years on the Internet.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Independent Watkins Manager #361534