From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:42:44 -0700
  The "Verifying DMI Pool Data" message is part of the BIOS startup, before
it ever gets to loading the OS from the hard drive, so it's not too
surprising that various disk repair utilities aren't fixing it.  (In fact,
what *is* surprising to me is that you can get to the recovery console at
all....)

  The DMI pool contains details of hardware configuration; the BIOS is
checking to see if the mix of hardware has changed since the last boot.  It
seems like the answers shold be either "yes" or "no", but occasionally this
data gets corrupted and the BIOS gets stuck at that point.

  If you go into the CMOS config (usually by holding down the DEL key,
although some manufacturers use something else, you should be able to find a
"data reset" item (exact name varies) which will be set to "FALSE".  Change
it to "TRUE" and reboot.
  When this item is "TRUE", the BIOS startup will re-initialize its pool
data (and change it back to "FALSE").  So when it gets to trying to verify
the pool data, it will take a few moments to look at your hardware and
rebuild the pool data.  And then Windows should boot just fine.

David Gillett

On 10 Mar 2007 at 13:45, Richard Radu wrote:

> I am having a boot problem and have been unable to fix. I am running
> XP Pro on a 1.7Ghz P4 with a 160GB Mator and a 60GB slave. Everthing
> was working fine on shutdown but the upon next start-up, I recived the
> following message and Windows would not load: Verifying DMI pool
> data... update successful
>
> I have run the following from XP recovery consol with no progress:
> chkdisk and chkdsk /r
> fixboot
> fixmbr
>
> I have inplugged the ethernet, USB, and fax modem cards and rebooted
> to no avail.
>
> I have a Linux boot CD-ROM (Knoppix) and I can see the both hards
> drives and the files on them (they all look fine) but the boot disk is
> a read-only so I cannot move or modify any files.
>
> I have no idea what my next steps should be. Any ideas?
> TIA,
> Richard

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml