From:
Robin Switzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:59:53 -0400
I have a ton of them!  If you like Indian food, they use tumeric in a lot of their dishes.
I made a spice blend using tumeric and the following:

6 parts tumeric
3 parts cumin
3 parts ground coriander
6 parts ground fennel
1 part powdered dry ginger
1 part ground black papper
1/4 part ground cinnamon

This is a fantastic blend of spices!  When steaming veggies, you can powder this on them.  You can also mix with a little olive oil and toss the already steamed veggies in the mix for a few minutes to heat the mixture and let the food absorb the flavor.  There are also lots of meat dishes using this type of spice mix.  It is recommended to stimulate digestion as well.

If you'd like some recipes, let me know.

Robin Switzer727.743.5998 cell727.945.1151 ofc> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:52:14 -0600> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Tumeric or Curcumin?> To: [log in to unmask]> > So I wonder if it is used in cooking and stimulates the liver to produce> more bile, it might be good for those of us who have no gallbaldder. I am> far from being a chef and am not familiar with spices or herbs and don't> really know what goes with what. What kind of dishes could you use Tumeric> in?> > Kim> > > On 9/19/07, Robin Switzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> >> > Hello everyone,> >> > Just a quick clarification on Tumeric.... the spice is most effective when> > used in cooking - not taken as a supplement. This could explain the upper> > GI complications listed. Tumeric actually stimulates the liver, making it> > more effective in producing bile. From my nutritional studies: "Tumeric is> > much more than just the curcumin that the scientists identify as its> > enhancing ingredient. A highly isolated tumeric extract standardized only> > to curcumin would miss the recognized cancer-preventative and antil> > inflammatory properties present in the whole plant".> >> > Just an FYI, I am completing my Masters Degree in Holistic> > Nutrition. Tumeric is the subject of many research projects underway> > related to cancer and cancer prevention.> >> > All the best,> >> > Robin> > > Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:15:10 -0600> From: [log in to unmask]>> > Subject: Re: Tumeric or Curcumin?> To: [log in to unmask]> >> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Adrienne Smith" <[log in to unmask]>>> > > > > Does anyone know if the bright yellow ground spice labelled tumeric is> > the> > same thing as curcumin??> >> >> > It is my understanding that> > curcumin is the active ingred. in turmeric.> > From one of my files:> >> > "Turmeric (main active ingredient curcumin) -- 1 of the top cancer-healing>> > herbs; 2-4 g or 2 tsp turmeric; up to 6-8 grams of curcumin has been used,>> > those this dosage can cause GI difficulties (Gammill, 10/04); curcumin's>> > synergistic w/genistein (in [fermented] soy), green tea, & bromelain;>> > curcumin's especially effective w/estrogenic breast cancer> (> > www.herbalfields.com/c7.html); curcumin's a COX-2 inhibitor,>> > antiinflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal, anti-angiogenic, induces>> > apoptosis, enhances immunity; curcumin's not very bioavailable, but taking>> > it w/piperine makes it more 2000% bioavailable; use good brand (e.g., New>> > Chapter, Zyflamend, Source Naturals); "curcumin can be hard on your gut">> > "curcumin is a SAPK inhibitor...[It prevents] drug resistance [MDR]"> For> > more info,> www.lef.org/magazine/mag2002/jul2002_report_curcumin_01.html>> > www.turmeric-curcumin.com