BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:15:25 -0400
 Mike, I'm sorry I missed you, and yes I was at that session.  I didn't
react quite as strongly about the means and methods lecture, and there
were a few who questioned the speaker about his approach.

I like to leave room for contractor/craftsman creativity going into the
project, as this develops true partnering and shared ownership of the
project's outcome.  There needs to be open and respectful communication,
and an understanding client.  That can be the most satisfying part of
the process, but it suggests risk in not knowing everything in advance.

Doing a full "drop" is a possibility for larger projects, but often
there is no time, and the client may not allow the expense.  Otherwise,
the specs become performance-based for the actual work, including
testing to determine formulas, etc., during the construction phase.  If
the contractor selection is price-based, or without control of
sub-contractor qualification, then there is often a need to educate and
monitor more than if the entire project is pre-qualified based on proven
experience.

Either way, I expect to learn and assist.  And, it's good to share in
venues like APT.

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA, FAPT

219 1/2 N. Main Street