From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:50:03 -0400
Do what you like: have an underground or private stream, have a public
stream and pay the extortion, have a public stream and be prepared to
pay the legal defense...whatever. All I'm saying is that it's naive to
just say, "Oh, well, screw 'em and do it anyway" if you don't
understand what the potential rammifications could be. And they could
be very expensive. It could be OK if your case is enough of a
precedent setter for someone like (for instance) the EFF to get behind
and back you with legal defense funding, but if not, then what are you
going to do? Think I like this state of affairs any better than you
do? Don't count on it. But it's at least one reason I generally don't
buy records put out by the major labels...sure, some I do if I like
them enough, but there are precious few of those anymore, and I'd
rather go out of my way to find good independent artists and support
them instead. Which brings up yet another option. Set up a stream with
free pod-safe music, or music you have permission to stream. You're
more likely to find this with independent artists and small,
independent labels. I expect that this would likely be the most
effective way to combat this: hit the RIAA where it counts: in the
wallet, by taking your business elsewhere. Sure, you'll have music
most people haven't heard of, but does that make it any less good or
valuable? I'd submit to you that in fact it's *more* valuable, because
it puts your money where it should be going in the first place, and
besides, it helps stick it to the greedy record labels as they're
assembled with the RIAA.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Email: [log in to unmask] or phone 888-75-BUDDY