From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2007 14:39:45 -0500
MFJ makes a ground plane for 2 meters and 440.

It works fine with the 50 watt class rigs.

I have one mounted on my back porch for most of the same wx reasons Lew
mentioned. Prior to moving into a house, I also used it mounted on a stick
of PVC which was strapped to the railing in a corner of my second floor
apartment balcony

It's a 1/4 wave 2 meter ground plane with a small coil in the center of the
vertical element that matches it better on 440. From memory, I think they
claim it has 2 db of gain on 440, and none, of course, for 2 meters.

MFJ also sells a radial and mounting bracket kit to convert any mobile
antenna to a ground plane.

Either setup is about $25.

You may also review the duel band J pole article from April QST, and then
build the base station model from the earlier article referenced therein.

Mike Duke, K5XU