From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:46:55 -0600
John, your comments about Verizon are interesting.  One thing that Verizon
is doing at least in the Maryland area is that if you are a blind or
disabled customer, you must call their special services for the disabled
line even if the issue you wish to discuss is not a special needs one.  And
whether or not you are a special needs customer is determined by whether or
not you have a directory assistance exemption or some other perk given only
to disabled customers.  And if you insist on your right to call the regular
customer service number, you must give up your exemptions.  I don't even
think the regular customer service reps have access to accounts that are on
special needs status.  I know that the Maryland Council for the Blind has
been attempting to fight this, but I don't know the current status.  The
problem is that the special needs line is open for shorter hours and has far
fewer staff members than does the regular customer service line.  This is
not right.
Harvey