From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:59:04 -0500
Hank,

In 1974, President Nixon abolished daylight saving time on the theory that
doing so would save energy.  He assumed that if the sun went down later in
the day, people would use less energy for lights at night.  Unfortunately,
he overlooked the fact that they would have to use the energy for lights in
the morning before the sun came up.  As a friend of mine used to say, "It
don't take no brains to be stupid."

Steve