From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:11:58 -0500
Hi Richard,

I remember the old mini quad.  It's made now by TGM in Canada.   The guy who
made them in Erie PA died a number of years ago.  There are 2 versions of
the story as to what happened next. 1. The guy from Canada bought the
business from the widow.  2.  The guy from Canada  just  copied/improved the
old design and started making them himself.

The design may go back quite a way and I'm not sure if anyone really "owns"
it.

In place of the old brass tuning spokes, there are tuning spokes made of
aluminum welding rod.  Surprisingly sturdy and you need a  strong hand to
cut one with a pair of side cutters.  The spokes are held in place with
stainless steel  machine screws.

The rest of the contraption is made of T66 aluminum, Lexan plastic, and
copper weave wire.  Has been up 3 or 4 years now and has survived some
pretty strong winds.  Never lost a spoke, which as you know was  a big
problem with the older one.

A little pricey and a compromise with a capital k.  But I was able to get it
up myself and  the push up mast is plenty strong, and it turns well with a
tv rotor.
73 Steve KW3A