From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 02:51:27 -0700
I have not had experience with the TH F6A, but by the simple fact that the
ICt90 has a CW read out of any frequency that you are receiving, it was a
hands down winner for me.
I like to scan through out of ham band freqs, and its very nice to know what
frequency you hear interesting traffic on so you can program it into a
scanner, or search it and find out who you are listening to.
Also, if its interesting enough, you can use the software to program it into
a scan bank on the t90.
I would rather have 220, but 6M can come in handy when using a cross band
repeater like the ts2000 for near by remote bass use.
By the way, when the ict90 is opened up with the simple modification, it
does indeed transmit on 220, at low power yes, but it will tx there.
I have also found that the A M shortwave band receive on the t90 is
excellent with a relatively small wire antenna stuck on the end of the stock
rubber duck.
You can take off the small tip of the stock duck antenna, and attach a wire
to the threaded metal peace.
The receive audio is a little hissy when you get on the fringe of a
repeater, or when you are going in and out of dead spots in the city, but
over all the receive is excellent on VHF and UHF.
The transmit audio is also very good with enough punch but not over driven,
and yet without reduced tx volume like with the th f6a.

It is actually quite easy to program memories even without the software once
you get the hang of it.
You can also easily adjust the power level without guessing which one you
are on by using the multi-function knob on the top, the selections don't
wrap so you can always set low or high without worrying about which setting
it is on like with a toggle button on most HT's.

I find the scan speed to be extremely slow, but that is par for the course
with nearly all amateur gear.

the radio does get warm when transmitting on high power for anymore then 30
seconds at a time., but if you perchase the metal belt clip which attaches
with metal screws to the back of the chassy, it will help to reduce the over
all heat on the back by providing more heat sink.
Also, the t90 has separate VFO and memory recall buttons, so switching
between your programmed memories and VFO for direct entry is very easy and
simple.

Icanworkthisthing.com has an excellent quick start guide which you can read
through to get a sence of its over all accessibility.
73
Colin, CF6BKX