From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:34:57 -0500
-----Original Message-----
Date:    Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:13:23 EST
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Memory Sticks

_http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/parts.htm#wp105879
2_

(http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/parts.htm#wp105879
2)

I am in a dilemma and need  help.  I have a Dell Dimension 8400.  Here are
my
 specks::

Processor-----------------------Intel (R) 4  CPU 3.00GHz
Memory-(RAM)-----------------256  MB
Operating-System---------------Microsoft  Windows XP Home Edition
Operating System  Version------5.1.2600

I was trying to format  cause I had gotten that blue screen, but it would
never go all the way through..  When it was copying the files.. it stopped
midway
and I did this three  times.  I finally called a tech here to come see what
was wrong.   After fooling with it for 2 hours, he pulled a memory stick out
and the  formatting was able to go on through.  He said I needed another
memory
stick since that one was bad which he said he would order for me.  He never
did, and here I sit with a slowed down computer, but at least it  works.

I got online with a Dell  tech who sent me the above instructions on how to
install the required memory  sticks.  (The Tech here said he would order me
2
GB of memory - 1 GB each  to replace two that were in there.)but I have not
heard from him  since.

Now, in reading those  instructions Dell sent me, it says this in there
(which confused me so that I  don't know what to do now mainly cause I am
not
familiar with the innerds of a  computer)

<<< If you  install mixed pairs of DDR2 400-MHz (PC2-3200) and DDR2 533-MHz
(PC2-4200)  memory, the modules function at the slowest speed installed.
Similarly, if  you install memory modules with mixed CAS Latency (CL) rates,
the
modules  function at the speed and CAS latency capablilties of the slowest
DIMM.

Be sure to install a  single memory module in DIMM connector 1, the
connector
closest to the  processor, before you install modules in the other
connectors.

NOTICE:  Do not  install ECC memory modules. >>>

Since the tech never came  back to the house to fix my problem, I'm having
do it myself.  I need to  know what I am to do and exactly where those
memory
sticks are and which one or  ones I am to remove when I install the two new
1GB ones when I buy  them.

Now.. I had gotten back  with a second Dell tech and asked him what to do,
but he was as puzzled about  this as I was.  Therefore I got no information
from
him in this  regard.  I just dont know if I am to take all four of those
memory sticks  that are in there (or does this computer only have 2 in it)
or just
take 1 out  and replace it with the 2 news ones I will be getting..  but the
1 and 3  seem to be in one slot and the 2 and 4 in another.  I am totally
confused.  Thanks for your help.  Harriet

------------------------------

Others on this list have replied with great instructions Harriet. I also own
a Dell Dimension 8400 and would like to help.

You should use whatever new memory you purchase as the "only" memory in the
computer. Mixing memory can, and usually does cause problems. Several
members have pointed out links to new memory for you. Here is another link
(from Newegg, I have purchased from them many times in past. They are very
reliable) for some matching memory that will work in your PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144166

I chose this memory for you because (other than the amount) it is what came
with your system. Mine shipped with 512Mb of DDR2 400 (PC3200). Your PC will
support a "faster" type of memory, but unless you do a lot of video or music
editing, or are a "hardcore" gamer you will not notice the difference. Plus
it's less expensive.  :)

Before starting, shut the computer off and unplug everything from the back
of the computer. You may have to unscrew the connector for the monitor from
the back and if you have a printer that connects using a parallel port
unscrew that also. Loosen both screws from either side of the plug and
gently pull them from their connections. After everything has been
unplugged, push and hold the power button down. The green power light will
come on momentarily and you might hear one or two "clicks". It will then go
out. This will discharge any remaining stored charge from the computer.

After removing all of the cords from the back of the computer, you should
place the PC down on its right side on a stable surface. There are two
"buttons" on the top and bottom of the case. You will have to press both of
these at the same time and then gently pull the side of the case upwards.
The case will then open like a clamshell. Gently raise the case side until
it is approximately at a 90 degree angle. The case will have indents in the
hinge and it should "lock" in place. You will then be able to work inside.

I am including a link here that has a picture of the motherboard. This is
just a plain motherboard out of the computer, but should help in locating
and identifying where the memory sticks are and which slots to use. The
memory is located where the longest black slots are.

http://www.centrix-intl.com/showpix.asp?pixsource=0j3492.jpg&pixselect=0j349
2-1.jpg

The slots for the memory are located on the right and toward the top of the
motherboard. The "tabs" that hold them in place are colored black and white.
Note that they alternate. You are going to need to place the new memory
sticks in the slots with the white tabs. Gently push down on both of the
tabs and they will lift the memory module up and out of their slots. You can
then pick the module up and out of the slot.

To place the new memory stick in place, you will have to line up the notch
on the bottom edge of the memory module with the notch in the memory slot.
Line up the memory in the slot and the gently push down on the top edge
being careful to push down straight. It will require a little pressure to
get the memory to "seat" in the slot and when it "clicks" into position,
make sure it is seated fully by checking to see if the white locking tabs
will fold in toward the new memory module. Repeat these steps for the other
memory stick in the other slot with the white tabs. After you are sure they
are both seated fully, close the case, plug in everything and power up. If
you are successful, the PC will boot up and give you a message that the
amount of system memory has changed. That is a good sign as the motherboard
has detected the new modules. If it doesn't automatically continue the boot
process, just "OK" your way through it.

At this point you should be up and running.

HTH and please post back with your progress.

Chris Ryan

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml