From:
D Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:16:23 -0800
I'm hoping you can tutor me on the theory and execution of encrypting a
residential wireless LAN.

downstairs:
1.-DSL modem cabled to
2.-DLink wireless router RJ45'd to
3.-Linksys access point wired with/to
4.-Linksys signal booster
upstairs:
5.-Linksys access point
6.-Linksys wireless adapter usb'd to PC (XP)

Now, the signal upstairs is really sporadic, but I think that may be
because the signal from downstairs has to travel through an environment
with brick and metal and assorted other noisy stuff.

When the upstairs pc goes online, it takes a few minutes to complete and
the signal info on the linksys adapter monitor widget notes a weak
signal plus others in the neighborhood who are presently online.

I'm wondering if encrypting the signal would bump up the upstairs signal
strength?

Would I encrypt (WEP, right?) node 2. (as listed above) or...?

Would all the other nodes automatically be ok with that, or would I have
to manually do stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Diane

                     visit our download web page at: