Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:06:01 -0600
Hello Ron,

CD-ROM/RW drives have fallen the way of the floppy drive, eight track, the
Beta video format and others who have been made obsolete by time and newer
technology. The next generation of the DVD format, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, is
already here. The Blu-Ray format is available now.

Now, DVD-ROM/RW drives are the norm. With DVD-RW drives only costing a few
dollars more than a ROM, I would recommend it. I use two in each of my
computers. One drive would suffice, it would only add more time to an
operation, such as copying, requiring an original CD or DVD.

By shopping around you can find name brands in the range of $30-$35 for an
OEM (no retail box, software, mounting screws, etc.) drive. Brands like
Lite-On, NEC and LG are proven names and supply drives for other brands like
Sony, I/O Magic, etc. This past week, Staples had an I/O Magic drive (made
by BENQ) on sale for $19.98 after rebate.

I personally prefer NEC. I presently have eight and have not had any
problems. Newegg.com would be a good place to start shopping. Their prices
are competitive, shipping is quick (and free on many items), and their
return policy is great if you need it. My only association with them is the
purchases I've made.

Newegg.com - CD / DVD Burners (RW Drives):
http://tinyurl.com/28kyho

Sven Swanson, Sr.
The NoSpin Group, Inc.