From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:11:08 -0500
The way you connect to the internet and the amount of RAM (random access
memory) you have are your main speed factors.  A telephone line (dialup)
connection is inherently slow.  DSL is better and generally, a cable
connection is fastest.   Unless your RAM is failing (any error
messages?) it hasn't changed, so the issue may be more with your
connection.  Phone wires sometimes get wet, slowing down the connection
speed for dialup or dsl.  Cable connections will slow down as more
customers sign on, especially in the evenings and at holiday times.  You
can go to many different web sites (kingston.com, pny.com,
tigerdirect.com, smmdirect.com to name a few) to see what memory will
fit your computer, and depending on the brand, some sites and your
manufacturer's web site may tell you what was installed when delivered.
You can purchase in local stores, ebay or from hundreds of internet
dealers.  Depending on your pc, you may have to remove existing memory
in order to install more.  If you provide the list with your make and
model number, more specific information could be provided regarding the
RAM.
Paul Hachmeyer

em zirek wrote:

>My PC is about 5 yrs old Win XP Home is about all I know at this point.
>
>I bought it just to work the internet. It has slowed down as of late
>and would like an easily understanable way to get things moving along
>again. PC does it all just takes time to do it anymore. I have deleted
>temporary Internet files, Run spyboy S&D, adaware too, as well as defrag and disk clean. I have found out that I have 80% of my HD as unused space. Can this space be used for Virtual Memory?
>  I was told to get more RAM by my brother who lives on a Mac. Can I just
>clean out the RAM I have and how do you do that?
>   Thanks for your help.
>

>   EMZIREK

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com