Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:09:54 -0500
Kristina K. Carlton:
> >OK, so let's go over the data and see if this helps you
> figure anything
> >out. So you're eating about 35% protein, 3-5% carbs and
> 60-62% fat. Do
> >you know what that translates into in terms of % of calories?
>

> It varies - today I have roughly those ratios and my caloric intake is
> 1,300
> - if I stick to what I put into fitday.com so far. That's
> pretty low but I had a fairly high day yesterday. On other
> days my caloric intake is anywhere from 1,600 to 2,000 so the
> grams of protein would certainly be higher than Rosedale suggests.

I'm still not clear on this. Are those percentages of grams of food consumed
or caloric intake? In other words, is it 35% of calories are protein or 35%
of total grams of food consumed, and how do you figure out what your
macronutrient proportions are? These are the calories per gram of each type
of micronutrient (that someone posted earlier) and proportions of a variety
of diets based on calories, that I recorded, in case this helps:

    carbs - 4 calories per gram
    protein - 4 calories per gram
    fat - 9 calories per gram

Protein / Carb / Fat Proportions
% of daily caloric intake, adult male

Diet					Protein		Carbohydrate	Fat
Zone					30			40
30
Most hunter-gatherer diets	19-35%		22-40%		28-47
Rosedale*				25-30 (60-75g)	20
60-65
US AMDR (2005)			10-35			45-65
20-35
Atkins-type diets			18-23			4-26
51-78
Dean Ornish				20			70
10
Typical U.S. diet			15.5 (98.6g)	49
34
Stephen D. Phinney**		15 (90-120g)	0			85
Pritikin				10			80
10

*Based on 154 lbs. weight, with 0.5 g protein/lb lean body mass
**Based on adults with reference weights ranging from 60-80 kg