NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:09:06 -0500
Hello Mark,
Thank you for the detailed response.

My comments inline:

> How old is she?

Nine.

> Has she had some symptoms and/or reactions that may
> have been triggered by contaminated foods? How much of the food?
> How bad were the reactions?

Not recently.

She did accidentally eat a cheese pancake without exhibiting symptoms, which is encouraging since it used to take minutes to have hives appear around her mouth and on her stomach after exposure.

Her last documented reaction was a swelling of her hand after touching spilled yogurt.  I don't remember the date but it was in the previous school-year.

< snip>

> None of us (he, his allergist, I, or my wife) will be inclined to
> oral challenge nuts.

Since she tested positive on the skin-prick test, orally challenging nuts is out of the question.

> But for the other things, if you have confidence in your allergist,

We only saw him about 3 or 4 times in the last 6 years for tests and epipen prescription.
Credentials seem to be in order :-)
http://www.paeds.utoronto.ca/Page882.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/ywnpq5
Co-author of "The Canadian Allergy and Asthma Handbook"
Associate editor of "The Complete Kid's Allergy and Asthma Guide"

> if accidental small ingestions of milk or eggs have not elicited
> strong symptoms, and you have a good, safe plan in the event of
> symptoms,

We'll do it in his office or clinic.

> Not sure if that helps.

It does.  Thanks.

We are still evaluating our options.
Should we challenge now?  Should we wait a bit more?  Should we try a different approach?

Best wishes,
Alex.