ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 13:43:35 -0400
Well Phil,
         There's no doubt about it, Jesus Himself said that the rich
would have trouble entering the kingdom of heaven because of their
love for their possessions.  As far as the behavior that you
described in the church that you attended for thirteen years, we are
told in James 2, that that sort of behavior is flat out wrong.  You
won't get any argument from me on either of those points.
         What concerns me is the fact that the sins on the other end
of the wealth continuum are not often addressed as what they are,
sin.  I'm talking about envy and covetousness.  Through the people
that we work with at our church, I have learned that greed isn't just
a rich person's problem.  Greed is greed and poor people can be just
as greedy as rich people.  Rich people are just more able to act out
on it.  The heart desire is the same, however.  Sadly, poor people
are excused from being labeled sinners because, well, its human to
want more.  But,the Apostle Paul told us  that he had learned to be
content in all situations, in plenty and want, and he tells Timothy
that godliness with contentment is great gain.  Paul also tells us to
press on toward the goal of Christ.  He says that he beats his body
and makes it his slave for the sake of Christ.  None of this sounds
like he is taking a casual  approach to his faith or his Lord to me.
         To me, this divisive thinking is the same sort of thing that
drives me nuts when conservative Christians jump all over a brother
or sister, in the Lord, for having a drink, but they think nothing of
their gluttony which has caused them to be overweight.  I guess that,
in short, it's easy to point out the sins of others and give
ourselves a pass. Lord forgive we contancorous bunch of people who
claim to have You in our hearts.
Kathy