From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:44:06 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Of course, wouldn't it be nice to have pita that develops a pocket? Well, I
haven't yet been successful in creating that nice, chewy Syrian-style pita
that develops a pocket, but I've come close to Greek-styleI pita - the nice
soft bread that wraps souvlaki. To do this, I've reviewed a number of pita
recipes - both GF and regular. A number of the GF pita recipes are rather
high in fat and contain quite a bit of almond meal and sometimes flax meal -
both high fat ingredients. I wanted something closer to Syrian pita in terms
of leanness. A leaner bread is feasible with GF flours that do not contain
rice. A number of people have the impression of excessive "dryness" with
rice-based flours unless there is quite a lot of fat is in the recipe. This
recipe is made from a GF flour that is 55% whole grain, minimizing refined
starches.

The pita recipe also is made with Expandex which gives the loaves extra
stretch and minimizes crumbling, even with reduced quantities of gums, no
gelatin, and no egg replacer. You can view the recipe and the pitas at:
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/bread/ . Navigate towards to the bottom
of the page and look for the red <NEW>. The bread home page also discusses
Expandex which is another form of tapioca flour. I haven't been able to
confirm the rumor yet, but I understand that WFM will be carrying Expandex
and other Heartlands Finest products. (Please note, I have no financial
interest in Corn Products, the producer of Expandex or Heartlands Finest.)
If anyone can confirm the rumor, please let me know. It will make getting
Expandex and mild navy bean flour much simpler.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA

*******
*******