ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:36:27 -0500
Well Helen,
         Remember, he is talking mostly to baby boomer and Gen X
people, so I believe that the word driven is used  as opposed to
wandering.  Also, shepherds do drive the sheep, kind of like herding
cows.  I grew up on a dairy farm, so that picture works better for
me, except that I'm not a cow.  GRIN!    If you're thinking of driven
like craving, like driven to steal to get drugs or something, no,
that wouldn't be what he means.  Remember, a lot of the people of
these two generations feel that there is no point to life.  They've
been taught, all through school, that they are an accident.  God
doesn't exist and when they die, that's it.  He's speaking out
against this hopeless point of view to let them know that there is a
purpose for being here.  It is part of a master plan.  I think that
part of why there is such a draw to his writing is because those who
discover him learn that they matter, and better yet, they matter to God.
         I think that that is part of the reason that the book,
"Purpose Driven Life," didn't really make a big impact on me.  I've
always believed in the existence of God, and His plan for my life, so
Rick's words were nothing new for me, but for those who believe in
that "circle of life," philosophy, that really became popular through
the movie, "The Lion King," Rick's ideas offer a great deal of
hope.  Believe me, the first seven chapters stress the need for
salvation first, before anything else.
         Now, let's just hope that when I hit send, this gets to you.  GRIN!
Kathy