From:
Carol Fenster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Fenster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:37:08 -0600

Happy October Everyone:

I taught a class on gluten-free breads at the Bob's Red Mill Cooking School
last month and wanted to share how we made gluten-free panini sandwiches,
These sandwiches are very popular these days and VERY easy to make at home.

You can use a panini maker (which is sort of like a waffle iron, but a
waffle iron won't work).  If you don't have a panini machine, then use two
skillets, with one being slightly smaller and quite heavy.

Use your favorite bread (either store-bought or homemade) and slice it to
about 1/3-inch thick. Put your favorite fillings on one slice (we used fresh
tomatoes and basil and plenty of olive oil) and then top with the other
slice. Coat both sides of the sandwich with olive oil and place in the
skillet. Wrap the bottom of the smaller, heavier skillet in aluminum foil
and then place the wrapped skillet on top of the sandwiches to squash them
down. If your skillet isn't heavy, place heavy canned goods in it to create
more weight. (At the cooking school, we used a 48 ounce can of fruit to add
more weight). Cook over medium-high heat until crispy brown on the bottom.
Turn the sandwiches over and cook on the other side until crispy and brown.
Serve immediately.

We used my French Bread recipe from Gluten-Free 101 but you can use any
bread. This recipe would also work very well with my Focaccia recipe which
is in all of my books. Just slice the bread horizontally into thin slices.
I've even made this recipe using the Van's gluten-free waffles which makes a
very interesting sandwich.

Also, while I was at the school we introduced the 3 new gluten-free mixes I
developed for Bob's Red Mill: They will be unveiled at a big trade show this
week and should be available at your local health food store. If you don't
see them, ask the manager to order them. They are

1) Cornbread Mix

2). Cinnamon Raisin Yeast Bread Mix

3) Hearty Whole Grain Yeast Bread Mix

I hope you enjoy these mixes and the panini sandwiches.

Carol Fenster, Ph.D., President/Founder

Savory Palate. Inc.; 800.741.5418; 303.741.5408.

8174 S. Holly Street, #404, Centennial, CO  80122

Author: Gluten-Free 101 (Savory Palate, 2006)

Author: Cooking Free (no gluten, dairy, eggs) (Avery, 2005)

Author: Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus (Avery, 2004)

Author: Carol's Culinary Cues monthly e-newsletter(free sign up at
http://www.CarolFenster.com

Culinary consultant to food manufacturers, including industry leader Bob's
Red Mill Natural Foods, Inc.

Savory Palate, Inc. also publishes Gluten-Free Friends by Nancy Falini, RD
and Food Allergy Field Guide by Theresa Willingham