Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:13:55 -0500

[Outbreaks Reveal Food Safety Net's Holes: Produce Growers Balk At Calls for
Regulation,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/10/AR2006121000
903_pf.html]

Yup, the article confirms what Dr. Eades said:

<<E. coli O157:H7 has been a particular problem. Unlike the usually benign
E. coli bacteria that live in warm-blooded animals and humans, the strain
produces toxins that destroy the intestinal lining, leading to bloody
diarrhea, kidney failure and, sometimes, death. It was first blamed for a
food-borne-illness outbreak in the early 1980s, leading some microbiologists
to suggest that it arose in industrial livestock, which are force-fed grain
and pumped with antibiotics.

The strain that caused September's spinach outbreak, which killed three and
sickened about 200, has been found in cattle feces near a California spinach
field and in wild pigs that roamed through it.>>

Regardless of what specific food was contaminated by the e. coli, whether
green onions or something else, we know that this virulent strain of e coli
has only been found in livestock that are fed grain. Returning to feeding
livestock on pasture and hay is the solution.