C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:27:46 -0500
Yes, yes, I know - but these were from a country that I don't
normally associate with the eugenics movement or other such mass
cruelties.  However upon more reading, I have found that this was
largely organised by the Catholic Church and it was sanctioned by the
U.K. government because at the time it was easier to send a child
abroad than care for him at home.  It seems that most of the children
were not really orphans and their parents were deliberately misled
into believing their children had been adopted elsewhere in Britain.
Instead they were shipped off to orphanages or work houses in Canada,
Australia or New Zealand where they were forced to work on farms or
construction of buildings.  Most of the 150,000 children were not
disabled, merely from poor families.

Here's a BBC article with a few other links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series9/week_nine.shtml

However when I read that the Catholic Church was one of the main
organisers, I was not surprised due to their history of mistreating
girls in Ireland and of course the molestation of children by
pruests. That was truly one more episode in the long history of
abuses by the Church.  I don't mean to offend any Catholics on the
list but I have to wonder how the Church could have gotten away with
so many abuses for such a long time.

I know we in this country have been known to treat our lesser-
priviledged citizens horribly but can you imagine the outcry such a
migration would cause in this country?  There are times when I long
for the simpler times of my childhood but I must say that nowadays
people are not afraid to speak up against such things.

Kat

On 29 Dec 2006, at 13:05, Mike Collis wrote:

Kat, that doesn't surprise me.  The U.S. sterilized pwd's and other
marginalized members of society in the 1920's and '30's.  This was
indirectly responsible for the "Little Holocaust" of Nazi Germany in
which
more than 500,000 pwd's were killed before the big one of 6 million
Jews.