C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:48:48 -0400
I'm not Bobby but  I do live by myself and work with AB people and it
does sound to me that "Person A" needs to learn that communication is
not just a matter of giving orders but also a matter of listening to
others' concerns and feedback.  Does this person have adequate access to
communication assistive devices?  I'd bet that Anthony would be a good
person to advise you in that regard.

Can you tell us if Person A is working through Social Services to hire
Person B's?  If so, the caregivers should be working with the case
worker to facilitate communications and see if there are other steps
that need to be taken. If this is a private contractual relationship,
then are there other agencies Person A could work with?  Unfortunately,
I would imagine that the hiring pool would be limited per se (unless
Person A lives in a city the size of Los Angeles) and I would also
imagine that his reputation would precede him.  It's unfortunate that
his inability or unwillingness to express his anger might put  himself
in more jeopardy.

Counseling would help but Person A has to be willing to work with the
counselor - again, he needs to recognize that communication is a two-way
street, not one way and the world doesn't revolve around him.  I hope
things work out for him because if he  continues in this manner, any
choices he wants to make for his own life might be taken away from him
in the name of "safety."

Kat