BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:58:24 -0200
The Preservation Channel

In the intro vid on this webcast channel you can see an unattributed
Pyrate (quite the character) and a few quick scenes from the PTN event
in Holy Cross, Lower 9. In particular the students frm Belmont Tech
working at the window sash staging area in a hearty shout out Thank You
to the Preservation Channel. Possibly there is something more in
development regarding Holy Cross?

Though the vids are slick and obviously well made, oriented towards a TV
garden channel aura, and slightly over produced (heavy use of music
overlays - that whole signal:noise ratio stuff that we are so familiar
w/ on BP), this site is not quite yet ready for prime time broadband.
All of the menu choices point to playing the vid Coming Soon on the
Preservation Channel. Frustrating if you like to push tags surf and
learn more w/out getting snagged -- WARNING WARNING avoid AMEX. I would
suggest that you "Stay Tuned" (bookmark for future reference). If you
want to make contact or to find out who is behind this site then you
need to send an e-mail... there is no anonymous inquiry as one would
suspect on pushing the About Us tag... it plays the entry vid over
again. That said - go for the BROWSE VIDEO tag... then watch some of the
vids.

FADED LADIES at 58min 38sec is a bit lengthy but it is truly incredible.
WATCH IT! This vid certainly shows the potential of the technology to
deliver non-mainstream cultural info. There is obviously something going
on here w/ Louisiana and my suspicion is that there is money from the
NCPTT in connection w/ LSU & Tulane. Absolutely nothing wrong with any
of that.

http://www.thepreservationchannel.com/vod.htm

The key to the bright screen is the little print that says "now playing
on brightcove". I ignore Expedia FRANCE and Silvercast Networks LLC as
mostly eye candy.

http://corp.brightcove.com/index.cfm

Brightcove Launches Free Service That Lets Anyone Create And Distribute
Commercial Internet TV Channels
http://corp.brightcove.com/about_brightcove/press_releases.cfm?ID=143

Considering past discussions here re: You Tube & John Leeke's vid
experiments & online workshops
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/index.htm it looks like here we
have one more potential outlet for the grassroots media revolution. A
question I came across was where will the Preservation Channel be a year
from now? Obviously there is a capacity to produce content... I think
the underlying BIG question is where will Bright Cove be a year from
now? If the platform for delivering of streamed vids is not available or
is restricted, or as John has pointed out there are hooks put on the
ownership rights to content that might be considered onerous, then we
may find the idea of having a web channel through any service to be
highly volatile.

Then... interesting ideas of BRAND development PRESERVATION CHANNEL come
into my head. I've had quite a bit of dealings w/ e-zines for short
stories & poetry and one of the big questions is just what separates the
'concept' of an e-zine from just another website. Dinner is dinner when
it is on my plate, be it paper or fine china and a whole lot has to do
w/ presentation as to if I will pay $5.00 or $50.00 for the plate. There
is only so much food that I should eat. Sort of the same goes for the
idea of an online TV channel as something that would be distinguished
from a literary e-zine or just one more website with moving pictures in
a world where we have not time or energy to pay attention to all of the
information coming at us as it is. For the most part I want to know the
world ON-DEMAND and not that it be constantly pushed onto my viewing screen.

On my Palm Life Drive I carry w/ me early B & W Edison vids that I
lifted off the Smithsonian site. Considering that I have worked on at
least one historic structure in the vids, Building #11, I find it highly
relevant to connect new-old technology and when sitting in Hooters in
Syracuse having a beer & lunch the convenience of showing an old movie,
while waiting to go to the movie theater to see a new movie, is actually
kinda fun. Person-to-person broadcasting on-demand.

][<en