ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Schwery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:03:24 -0500
Kathy, I must agree with Helen on this one.  I know the bible doesn't
teach directly against drinking, but it definitely teaches against
drunkenness.  Where does one draw the line?  Myself, I abstain,
completely.  I believe the leadership of the early church either
drank very little or abstained because Paul told timothy to drink a
little bit for his stomachs sake, or medicinal purposes.  We don't
need alcohol for medicine, now.  And, I believe the alcohol content
of alcoholic beverages was far less in beverages then, than what it
is, now.  Plus, you have to realize that part of Helen's disagreement
comes from suffering, big time, from alcohol abuse from those around
her, for more years than she cares to think about.

earlier, Helen Wolf, wrote:

>I strongly disagree with that statement, Kathy.  The main thing
>wrong with beer is the alcohol.  Proverbs 25:28  He that hath no
>rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and
>without walls.   Alcohol takes control over a man's spirit, so that
>he does not rule over it..........but is totally open to Satan, the
>enemy of his soul, as the city of ancient times with its walls
>broken down was open to its enemies.
>Helen
>
>Earlier Kathy wrote:
>>Well, the main thing wrong with beer is the calories.  Kathy
>>

>>At 09:54 AM 11/25/2006, you wrote:
>>>If one goes the boycott route, where does one stop?  If I went far
>>>enough, I wouldn't be able to buy groceries because the store sells beer.

John