ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:14:34 -0500
John, is the the song you're looking for?

Tom T. Hall - It Sure Can Get Cold in Des Moines

The iowa weather was 13 below
I had come to des moines for a radio show
I awoke in the evening from a travelers sleep
With notions of something to eat

The old elevator slid down past the floors
My head and my eyes said you should have slept more.
The man at the desk said the restaurant was closed
Outside it was 14 below

The lounge was still open and so I walked in
In place of my food I had two double gins
I looked round the room, as a tourist would do
Thats when I saw the girl in the booth

She sat there and cried in the smoky half-dark
The silent type crying that tears out your heart
Her clothes were not cut in the new modern way
And her suitcase had seen better days

Nobody asked her what caused her such pain
Nobody spoke up, yet no one complained
Without even asking, I knew why she cried
Life is just like that sometimes

The man at the desk said, its 15 below.
The bellhop said yeah man, thats cold...thats cold.
I went back to my room and I wrote down this song
Oh it sure can get cold in des moines

Helen

Earlier you wrote:

>We have 60s today and supposed to be 70s, tomorrow.  I wish I could
>find that song by Tom T Hall, Lonely In Des Moines.  I may have the
>wrong name for the song.  They closed schools in Pittsburgh,
>today.  Anna is from that area so she keeps an eye on those people.

"Humility is a silent language."