ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:13:55 -0700
I guess I need to modify my testimony about speaking in tongues concerning
what the Lord revealed to me concerning praying about my finances.  Just
because the Lord show this to me does not mean it is now law, that is, the
same applies to everybody for everything.  It certainly won't hurt to use
that technique but if you are using it because you believe I said it was
eternal truth, you would be making the mistake of living on my faith and not
yours.  Remind me of the time I did that myself and paid big time.  I tried
living on what the Lord had done miraculously for another man, thinking if
it worked for him, surely it would work for me.  It didn't and I paid a big
price for my mistake.  It was, as I mentioned before, confidence and not
faith.  I had confidence in this man's experience he had with God and
figured God was duty bound to do the same, in the exact same way, for me.
Big mistake.  For example, what if you don't even believe that tongues is a
viable gift for today.  I can tell you right now, it would be rare that
Jesus told you to speak in tongues relating to your situation at that given
moment.  He did tell me that once but it was under different circumstances
and I didn't even believe in tongues at the time.  I told Him so, too.  Days
later, I did.  Read my testimony on my website called, "When Baptist Speak
In Tongues," for the rest of the story.  He might very well tell you
something else, however, that was directly applicable to your present
circumstances.  Another example.  The acts chapter 3 passage I quoted
earlier.  Yes, I believe in healing and have been healed in some super
unusual ways as a Christian.  There is Biblical commonality, of course, but
Jesus works with you as an individual.  He identifies with you and where you
are at any given moment in your walk with Him.  You start thinking that all
you have to do is confess you don't have any silver or gold but such as you
have, you give freely, and then take someone in a wheelchair by the hand and
try to lift them up, you may end up with a hernia and a red face.  On the
other hand, if the Holy Spirit says, Walk over and take that lady by the
hand and confess she is well in my name and she shall walk for my glory,
then you best be doing what Jesus said.  Stop and think about it.  Look at
all the weird ways Jesus healed people.  shoot.  He stuck his fingers into a
deaf man's ears, spit on his finger and then jammed his finger into the
man's mouth.  What's up with that?  It worked, though, but it was far from
the norm.  Sometimes Jesus just spoke from a distance, then people went
home, and bingo!  the person was healed.  That's different, sure enough.
Sometimes He touched people, sometimes people touched just his clothes
instead, and the blind man in John chapter 9 is definitely a weird healing
technique.  Spit on the ground, make mud, slap it into the eye sockets of
the blind man and then tell him to be led down to the pool and wash the goop
from his eyes.  Holy cow!  When's was the last time you were in one of these
far out Charismatic healing services of Benny Hinn and saw him do that?
Come on, Benny, I dare you.  If you never get anything I ever say, get one
thing.  Jesus loves you as an individual because there is nobody on the
planet, nor has there ever been, nor shall there ever be, just like you.  He
died for you personally.  He loves you personally and when He speaks to you,
it may be different than anything you have ever heard testify by someone
else.  this works out very well because there ain't nobody like Jesus
either.  See?  That's why He wants you as you are and for Pete sake, don't
ask Him to make you like me.  Ask Him to make you like Him and He will.  Did
you know that such is exactly how He sees you already, that is, just like
Him?  If you are born again, that is.

Phil.