From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 03:13:34 -0500
From a quick look at the specifications for this motherboard (ECS 741 GX-M)
on the ECS website, I don't think that it supports dual channel memory; so,
you should have no trouble replacing the existing module with the two
Samsung modules that you have (or using just one, if the existing module is
capable of matching the Samsung's PC2700 speed).

The ECS website suggests that this board supports up to 2GB of RAM.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=24&LanID=9&DetailID=422&DetailName=Specification

or abbreviated, http://tinyurl.com/yb37xq .

ECS also has a downloadable version of the manual for this motherboard on
their site, which may have more details on memory installation.

Crucial lists modules of up to 1GB in capacity as being compatible with this
motherboard.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=741GX%2DM

- - - - - -
Original Message Below

Date:    Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:05:20 -0500
From:    Ron Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: memory upgrade

Hello
I wish to upgrade the memory on my computer from 256 Mb to 512Mb, as Ever=
est tells me it needs more systems memory to improve performance. The Cru=
cial systems scanner says the maximum capacity is 512Mb, and that the mem=
ory is pc2700.

The motherboard has two DDR DIMM RAM slots (ECS 741 GX-M) and an AMD semp=
ron 900MHz processor, with WindowsXP.

But I have been told that if two of the same memory modules are used in D=
ual Channel mode, problems can arise when the two MM's are not properly m=
atched by the Manufacturer. I have two Samsung pc2700 256Mb DDR memory mo=
dules; can I replace the existing module with these and expect to be prob=
lem-free? Or just put one in the empty slot? And, what disadvantage would=
 follow if Dual Mode were not adopted?
Thanks in advance,
Ron

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,