From:
Emerisle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:19:02 -0700

Consensus - not required unless ongoing problems.  See some of comments below...
  Thanks for writing everyone.  I particularly appreciated all the kind words that came along with the information....  Beth

  -- When should you take a repeat EGD? The jury is out. I've read a lot about it, and I talked my GE out doing it again in my case. Very conservative GEs say 12 months later, but since your GE was wrong, he can't be very conservative, can he? (Sorry for being snotty.) EGDs are not the most pleasant, and if you improve, it is unlikely you need to subject yourself or your pocketbook to another. That type of repeat just for drill is either academic or a drill to make budget. To a large degree, it is the patient's choice. You know how you feel. If you don't improve greatly within 6 months, then it might make sense to tune into Dr. Gary Gray and Gail Pyle at Stanford who say that they think 50% of the celiacs have absorption problems that need additional help. But this is not another biopsy. There are absorption tests that are somewhat less invasive (read about D-Xylose test, but there are others) that they administer and treat at Stanford.