From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:17:36 -0500
Hi Christy,

Well, now-of-days, a major metropolitan center like St. Louis likely has a
large number of repeaters and due to recent FCC regulatory changes--I would
bet that most if not all of the repeaters are using CTCSS (PL tones).  Most
rigs manufactured in the past decade have PL tones built-in.

As far as a good basic rig, if you're looking for a good duel band (2M/70CM)
rig, I would recommend getting a used TMV7A from a reputable source.
Unfortunately, they do not manufacture this model any more, but there are
still a lot of them floating around on the used market.  I have one I got
from John on this list over a year ago and it is quite accessible.  It has a
speech board available (some used models of course may also have these
boards and some may not) and entering PL tones--while not a cake walk--is
quite easy if you are used to a bit of logical sequencing.  I regularly
enter them without sighted help.

I am sure there are a number of other rigs you could get (single band 2
meter rigs are a little more than a hundred dollars brand new) but the TMV7A
is a good bet for a duel bander.

As far as indoor antennas for apartments, I had a friend in the same
situation as you are.  He was on the second (in his case the top) floor, and
he used a duel band J-Pole (the copper type--not the 300 ohm roll-up).
Assuming you have the corner of a room or maybe a crawl space that is about
5 feet or more high, this worked quite well for him.

Now these copper J-poles are only as good as the person constructing them.
I had a kindly, but elderly guy make one for me and it never worked
properly.  Then later, I had a guy who was younger and used quality tools
and was a real master craftsman (or is it craftsperson <g>) and the thing
worked great.  He later constructed for me a 9 element Yagi beam that cost a
whopping 23 dollars US.

In any case, you might want to reestablish contact with a ham club and maybe
there's a master craftsman/person there who will do a bang up job for you in
constructing an antenna of some sort.

I hope this gives you a bit of insight on the issue.