From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:04:29 -0400
Hi.

I had similar issues with Duxbury.  Fortunately, the hard drive went on
that machine, and when the new hard drive was installed, and the software
was reloaded, guess which version of Duxbury didn't go back on the computer!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:46 PM 10/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi, all.
>
>I realize that this is pretty far "off topic", so please bear with me, or
>feel free to delete the message if it is of no interest.
>
>Over the past few years, I have been very successfully using the Duxbury
>10.5 Braille translation software for both MS Word files, and Excel
>spreadsheet files that are related to my teaching work.
>
>However, this Summer, I decided to upgrade to Duxbury version 10.5 SR2,
>which was available on the Duxbury Systems web site.
>
>Ever since I have done this, I have had nothing but problems with Braille
>translation.  In MS Word files, dashes and other characters appear in the
>Braille file for no apparent reason.
>
>In excel spreadsheet files, some real interesting things happen.
>
>For example, if I have a student grade that involves a certain number of
>questions correct out of say fifty questions, it will print that raw score
>number ok in Braille, but then, for the student percent grade, no number
>sign appears, and grade 2 contractions are used for certain letter
>groupings.
>
>For example, the other day,  a student percent grade of 74% was translated
>into the word "good", via the grade 2 braille contraction GD.
>
>I have been trying to work with the Duxbury tech support folks for several
>weeks on this problem, but to no avail.
>
>Of course, they are trying to get me to purchase the new 10.6 program, which
>I see no need for, since the original 10.5 worked so well.
>
>They say too that I should not try to go back in re-install the original
>10.5 program either, because that will create a real mess on my computer.
>
>So, I'm sort of at whitt's end here.
>
>Has anyone had similar experiences with version 10.5 SR2, and if so, how did
>you get around them?
>
>Would I really do great bodily harm to my computers here if I un-installed
>version 10.5 SR2, and went back to plain old 10.5?
>
>Sorry for the "off topic" nature of this post, but hey, I do occasionally
>translate and print off ham-radio-related files in Braille too.  (grin)
>
>73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]