BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 22:28:43 -0100
Ruth,

I thank you for this link. It is curious.

I am to be in Poland in September at a Garden City outside of Warsaw, at
Milanowek. I am somehow to figure out how to give a workshop to youth in
regard to their environment, stone as a natural element, then end in the
workshop of the stone sculptor Jan Szczepkowski
<http://www.sztuka.net.pl/palio/html.run?_Instance=www.sztuka.net.pl&_PageID=445&newsId=2862&_CheckSum=-48763271>.
I plan to spend a day to wander around the town... so far all I have
been able to do is familiarize myself with Google Earth maps.  I will
spend some time to look at both the sculpture and the original building
that houses it. Beyond the fact that this activity is a small piece of a
larger celebration of the Garden City I am intrigued that I speak zero
Polish and will be reliant on the youth who attend the workshop, and the
beneficience of the mayor, not only for the content of the workshop but
for my life presence in the town.

One of the concepts that I came back from Poland the last go round was
that the trees, and wooden architecture, are a connection between the
earth and the sky. We were there to look at wooden architecture in
particular and I was the odd one out who looked at the stone. The stone
in Podlaski is similar to that in the glacial areas of the NE Americas.
I am curious to see what the geological evidence is slightly SW of
Warsaw. I want to go look to see for a sculptor whom I am unable to
learn very much about, as I do not read Polish either, to explore the
cultural landscape through the media of the natural materials and to see
to what extent he related to his environment.

I am now curious what the ealier urban planning concepts were that lead
to the Garden City movement in Poland.

Thnx,
Ken