From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:15:53 -0700
Its interesting how several people have said how hard it is to get out on
440.
I have actually experienced the opposite effect.
I use 446 to cross band to 146.52 so that i can use the ICT90 while
travelling around the city on UHF and get back to my home station and be
heard on 52.
I have also tried this the other way, using VHF on the HT and going out on a
UHF simplex frequency from home.
I have found that for urban areas, 446 has much better penetration qualities
for heavily built up areas.  I can utilize the cross band repeater a good
five miles further away using UHF on the HT then when using VHF.
This could be partially to do with the fact that the UHF portion of the bass
antenna has a rated gain of 9DBI, which could account for a very slight
increase in signal strength over the 6DB rating for the VHF portion.
I suspect though, that UHF has better over all success because it simply
works better through buildings and small ground swells and what not.
My typical range on 5 watts to get back to the bass radio is about 15 miles
on UHF and around 9 or 10 on VHF.
Of course, there are dead spots and places where it just won't work, but
those are generally the same locations where nothing really works including
AM/FM broadcast stations...usually on freeways that have high concrete
abutments on either side.
 This is using the stock ICT90 rubber duck and my ts2000 set to 5 watts with
the tram up at 30 feet.
73
Colin, V A6BKX