From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:33:57 -0500
Hi Jeff and List,

I live in Erie County New York the sea of which is Buffalo.  Now we can get
weather conditions that vary so widely within a few miles.  For example, we
have something called Lake Effect Snow Bursts or Lake Effect Snow Squalls.
These squalls occur when cold winds blow across the open and warmer waters
of the lake.  Depending upon the exact direction of the wind, these squalls
can materialize right over the city, they can materialize a few miles south
of the city or a few miles north of the city.  Or they can move 20, 30 or 40
miles north or south of the city and oscillate back and forth.  They can
vary in intensity from light flurries to heavy pile-ups--more than 2 inches
an hour.  This is why in many cases, it would make sense to use cities
and/or towns as a warning location rather than just counties.

For computers, I personally like the Weather Pulse program because it allows
you to pick weather notification areas by zipcode.  This does work quite
well because zipcode areas in my location are quite small in land area.  So
for example, my zipcode is 14225.  During one of these lake effect events, I
might see that my conditions are relatively placid, but if I change the
zipcode field to say 14140, I will see that a heavy squall is occurring.

73's and take care for now.