From:
Christy Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:38:34 -0600
Someone asked about the www.hamtestonline.com website. I just thought I'd
put my opinion out there for anyone that's interested.

It's a paid site, I believe 49.95 for the first two year subscription, then
renewal is 29.95. It doesn't have detailed theory unfortunately, but it does
have a very intelligent way of reviewing the questions. Basically you start
out with the easy questions, asked in multiple choice format. As you answer
them correctly, it builds on what you're learning, asking more and more
advanced questions and occasionally throwing out bits of theory such as
formulas, explanations of terms and such. Each question has a score, so for
example if you answer it incorrectly, you'll get the question a lot more
often until you are consistently getting it right. but even if you answer it
right the first time, you'll still get it from time to time, just to be
sure. You can select technician, general or extra question pools, any
combination of the above, or even select or deselect certain subtopics in
each one. there's also an option to not show questions with diagrams for us
which I really like. The website is amazingly accessible at least with jaws,
though you may want to turn off the element announcement so it isn't saying
clickable as you're reading the possible answers. Neat thing is, when you
get to the right answer you can just press space right there, you don't even
have to go up to the actual radio button. Some of the questions, once you
get it right and it goes on to the next question, will give a little
explanation of why that answer is right, but not all of them. Oh, and it
does keep up to date with the question pools, and has the Canadian ones as
well as U.S.

You can do practice exams as well, though they recommend you only use those
to test yourself, not for learning purposes. So if you're needing very
detailed theory, it may fall short, but if you don't mind learning through
trial and error and picking up things slowly as you go along, it's an
excellent site.

Now for my question. I'm once again trying to see about getting my general
license, but right now since the code is still required I really need to get
cracking on that. Personally I'd rather work with a computer program than
some kind of audio tutorial, but I'd prefer one that isn't just a practice
program, but rather builds on learned letters and can actually teach. I
don't mind buying a program, if required, if I know for sure it's
accessible. Any suggestions?

Christy, KI4GYH

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.