From:
Christy Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:41:16 -0600
Realizing I may be opening up a can of worms here..

I've been licensed for over ten years now, but haven't been active for quite
some time for various reasons. I'd like to get back into the radio scene,
but I find myself way out of the loop and needing to get a new radio and
accessories. Not having much of an idea of any new things out there, and I'm
sure a lot has changed, I'm looking for any recommendations you might have.
Here's what I'm up against.

I live in the st. louis area, and from what I understand a lot of the
repeaters here use PL tones. I haven't pulled up an actual list of repeaters
yet, that's my next project. I'm still a technician as far as licensing,
though I'm hoping to move up if I can get my hands on some good training
materials. Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of what I knew so I need to
refresh myself first. Right now I'm looking for something that would get me
on 2 meters and 70 cm though, additional bands I wouldn't complain about.
I'd prefer something fairly cheap, but more importantly I need something
that is decently accessible as I don't really have much access to sighted
assistance. That may change once I get up and running and can start
networking with local hams, but for now it's where I am. Being able to set
PL tones on my own is a definite must.

I'm also in an apartment, so am looking for an antenna that could work for
such a radio halfway decently without needing to be outside. Again, I'm not
the most skilled so for now building my own is out of the question.

I guess what I'm looking for is any ideas, suggestions, for someone brand
new to this. Though I'm not brand new I might as well be at least until I
get back up with my knowledge and skills. Don't worry, I intend to do my own
research as well. I just thought I'd throw this idea out there

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be willing to provide.

Christy, KI4GYH

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.