From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:17:44 -0500
Hi List,

Since we're on this issue quite a bit, here's one thing I got from someone
on the beta list.

In JAWS 7.1, a new feature which is supposed to help with off-the-shelf HTML
interfaces--such as help screens for third party applications and
alternative browsers was instituted.  It is called generically, FSDom
support.  In April of 2006, a Windows update was incompatible with this new
interface.  Generally what this patch seemed to do was to cause Outlook
Express itself to crash when you received or composed messages and then
closed either a message or the program itself.  Now I realize that the issue
here is involving JAWS itself crashing, but when JAWS is hooked into custom
scripts with a program, it sometimes can also be made to crash when another
program within which it is operating crashes independently.

There is supposedly a Microsoft knowledge base article about how to keep
Outlook Express from crashing and making it generally more stable.  It
involves undoing the patch and updating it with some other patch that
doesn't cause the problem itself.

The issue is made much more complex by the fact that many people never
experienced the outlook Express problem itself at all.  I am one of those
who has never had an issue.  But many people do.  It's a bit of a mine field
to navigate, but maybe those people having difficulties with JAWS crashing
when Outlook Express exits could look through the Microsoft knowledge base
and see if applying the patch may solve the JAWS crash itself.

This may sound like a long shot, but I believe it's worth a try.