From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:23:49 -0600
Adding a cw filter to the 570 eliminates the problem that occurs when the
AGC circuit is being tripped by signals which are outside the audio
passband. This shows up as a pop, and a reduction in the signal that you are
actually trying to copy. It happens no matter where you have the narrow
audio filter set in the cw mode.

In my 570, I have the 400 hz filter from IRAD. While their specs are
somewhat better than those of Kenwood filters, the real reason that I have
it is that I caught them on sale the year I went to Dayton, and brought one
home, since I went there planning to buy a Kenwood filter anyway.

Based on my previous experience with the Kenwood filters for earlier rigs,
the 500 hz filter will do nicely for all but the most challenging contest
pile ups.

If you operate cw even casually, they make the 570 a much nicer cw rig.

Mike Duke, K5XU