From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:24:58 -0500
Cushcraft made for awhile, and may still build a WARC band vertical that
tunes 12, 17, and 30 meters. It is called the AWV3. For the speech users out
there that's A W V 3.

It's not very heavy, but is about 20 feet tall when fully assembled.
It is a 1/4 wave trap vertical, and must have ground radials added, even if
ground mounted.

It would work well either ground mounted, or roof mounted.

As someone said in another post about the Ham Sticks, you could also mount
it on a fence post, and use the fence as part of the ground system. If the
fence is made of wood or plastic, you can run radials along it, supporting
them with staples or cable ties.

Almost any size of wire will work, as long as you can get a good electrical
connection to the ground terminal of the antenna.

If you are only interested in single band coverage, try to locate a QST
article called the C pole.

Basically, this is a half wave dipole made of tubing, that is bent into a
shape resembling the letter C. Since it's a half wave, it does not require
radials. As I recall, the QST article gives dementions for 17 and 20 meters.
Perhaps someone in your area will help you construct one.

I think I saw recently where Force 12 is about to market commercial versions
of this antenna for several individual bands, including 17.