Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:05:39 -0500
Hi Phil.

Down through the years I have been fortunate in that I never have had a
severe RFI or TVI problem, although I have had a couple of minor
interference problems.  The worst was back at my first QTH, where I was on
a second floor with a fairly long path to a ground.  Try as I might, I just
couldn't get a low pass filter to be effective under those conditions, and
the harmonic suppression on the Kenwood TS130S wasn't that great.  I know
that because the problem was eventually eliminated when I changed
rigs!  Anyway, the good thing was that I didn't have neighbors really close
by--we had 3 acres of land, and houses were generally spaced a couple of
hundred feet apart.  I'm surprised that I don't have a lot of problems here
because the west wall of my house is literally a foot inside my property
line and the neighbor's house is only a driveway width away.  But, then, I
have a basement radio station, and getting a good RF ground connection is
no problem here.

One other area where I've had some trouble at other locations is 2 meter
SSB.  Generally, I wouldn't see any problem with FM or CW transmissions,
but would see modulation bars on some VHF television channels when
operating 2 meter SSB.  I think it was a front end overload problem and
primarily sensitive to amplitude variations.  I never found a solution for
that one, but moved and for whatever reason the problem didn't seem to move
with me.  That one was only a problem with our own television set.  I was
in a somewhat weaker signal area there, and that may have been a
factor.  Also, when I moved away from home, the TV didn't move with me and
I bought a new one.

As for the problem at S.U., I don't think the guy with the bad TV
interference problem ever put two and two together about where it was
coming from, and the only way I knew about it was from the loud cussing
every time I keyed the HT!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:38 PM 12/7/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>Louis,
>
>That's some good thoughts.  They are pretty sure, now that all their radioes
>have been cranked down to 2.5 watts, that they won't have any more problems
>but they are still, for now, using the 450 remote set up to keep the
>building management happy.  I'm sure the cable company can boost their
>signal and also put in some filtering at the TV ends to stop the QRM but it
>may be more trouble than it is worth unless they legally push the issue.
>One of the ladies just got her license recently, too, so it is kind of
>disappointing for her.  When I had a 2 KW amp and a 2 element 40 meter beam
>at 70 feet, A neighbor called me one day from two houses away.  He was a
>drunk and didn't work.  I had operated, running 1 kw, for years without one
>TVI complaint.  He called one day and said I was getting into his TV when he
>was trying to watch his favorite program.  At the time the program was on, I
>was never on the air so I couldn't figure it out.  As it turned out, it was
>on  every morning at 10 in the morning and I was always at work by then.
>His favorite program?  A cartoon show.  Did I stop operating?  Nope.  I just
>told him to report me to the FCC.  He didn't want to do that, so I kept, on
>hand, a couple of copies of how to fix your TVI problems that the FCC sent
>out for free.  I gave him one of those.
>
>Phil.
>K0NX
>

>Phil.