EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:51:33 -0500
Unfortunately, the brief coverage of the issue in the EDUCAUSE news
release is prone to mislead the casual reader into believing that this
court decision has relevance for higher education in general. This may
be the case for private institutions, but I doubt that the decision has
any bearing on public universities.
The issue in the Southwest Airlines case revolved around the
interpretation of "public space" or "place of public accommodation."
This concept is of little, if any, relevance to Title II. The crucial
component in Title II is a mandate for access to the services, programs
and activities of public institutions.
On my own campus, a public university, the EDUCAUSE release has already
resulted in people questioning our proposed new Online Accessibility
Policy. We better get ready and prepare an effective response to such
questioning.

By the by, the full text (in text-based PDF format) of the court's
reasoning is available at
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/11th/0216163p.pdf.

Greetings,

Axel