Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:30:20 -0500

[Part 1 of 3]

PROBLEM:  There are a number of posts and comments out there on the
internet that claim to list brands that fully disclose all gluten on
their ingredients labels.  However, once these lists get published,
they do not seem to be generally (publicly) verified by anyone again
and tend to either go out of date, or are sometimes inaccurate.  Yet,
because they appear again and again, people (me included) tend to
think, "it must be true!"

SOLUTION:  Take one of the most pervasive and oft-published lists
(which I will not reference here) and verify as many brands as
possible.  Answers below.

EXPLANATION:  The brands on this list have stated (on their website,
or to me by phone or e-mail) that they fully disclose all gluten
(wheat AND barley, rye and oats) on their ingredients lists.  If
gluten does NOT appear among the ingredients, these companies say you
can trust that there are added no gluten ingredients in the product.
These companies do NOT HIDE barley, rye or oats; if they are in the
product, they are explicitly stated among the ingredients.  (Of
course, all companies must now disclose wheat, but not the other
gluten -- hence the need for this list.)

CAUTION:  Just because there are no gluten ingredients in any given
product, it does not necessarily mean that there is no danger of
cross contamination.  You are on your own there to decide!  There is
one brand that claims to list all gluten that I could not personally
bring myself to include on the list, and that is Frito-Lay -- I have
personally had numerous issues with them over the years, and as
recently as a few months ago.

REQUEST: If you know of other brands that should be included on this
list, I encourage you to publish them to this group yourselves.  I
will only be responsible for reporting on the brands I have
personally researched, so it would not be right for me to summarize
any e-mail I receive in this regard.  If you've personally researched
something in RECENT months, I hope you will tell others on this list.
Also, if you've had problems with any of these brands, please bring
such matters up with the list in general, or with the manufacturer --
and not with me.

This list is a Holiday gift from me to all of you, struggling with
your food shopping for the holidays.  :-)  (As well as a gift to
myself!!)

THE LIST WILL BE SENT IN 2 SEPARATE PARTS, IN E-MAILS TO FOLLOW.
(TOO BIG TO SEND AS ONE POST)