From:
Andrea & Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:42:16 -0500
Hi Peter;

    My parents had over 700 slides from the Sixties and Seventies. About a
year ago I bought a CanoScan 8400F and was quite pleased with the results.
It handles 4 slides at at time, was quite fast and produced seemingly very
good images. I used Photoshop 7 and it's autocorrect feature to improve the
images, although I also had to manually adjust about 40% of the them after
the autocorrect to get the best results. The FARE feature of the scanner was
helpful at times, but I found that it too greatly reduced the image quality
to be used continuously. Still, there were several slides that were damaged
and the software was able to improve the images sufficiently to make them
viewable.

    The only problems I ran into with the CanoScan driver was my inability
to scan the entire area of some store-bought slides that were significantly
larger than the standard-sized slides. Also, there were several slides that
were just slightly larger than the rest which presented some difficulty
which I solved by turning them in the slide frame provided with the scanner.
I did this with the store bought ones as well; choosing which angle produced
the best picture. There may have been a better solution, but I couldn't find
it and nothing important was lost.

    These slides were family photos, so the most important issue was to get
them scanned before they deteriorated further. The finished images were
better than the original slides in everyone's opinion. I would imagine a
professional service or more expensive scanner might have done a better job,
and perhaps those with a more discerning eye might not have been satisfied,
but I don't know how much better quality could have been milked from these
old slides.

    On a personal note, I had thought it would take much longer than it did
to scan the slides but it took longer to improve the images (adjusting
colour, rotating, cropping, etc.) with Photoshop than I had originally
planned. What is even taking longer is to get my mother to name and attach
information to the images as she is the only left who can.

    Good Luck.

Bill